|Search This Site >>
Skip to Main Page Content
Be Driven by the Arts
Why Arts Matter
Arts in Education
Local Arts Agencies
Dates & Events
Arts & the Economy
Long Range Plan
Work by SC Artists
For Vacationers/ Visitors
Services & Programs
SC Arts Commission Grants Programs
What is an AVI grant?
AVI grants encourage and enable the creation of new artist-driven, arts-based business ventures that will provide career satisfaction and sustainability for S.C. artists. Grants can be used to launch a new venture or significantly alter an existing venture.
Who can get one?
Professional-caliber South Carolina working artists (individuals and collaboratives)
How much could I get?
Up to $3,500 for a one-time project/single purchase
Up to $5,000 for an ongoing business venture
When is the deadline to apply?
January 11 for the initial online Letter of Intent. If you are invited to submit a full grant application, that will be due by March 15.
How do I apply?
Part One (Letter of Intent - Open to All):
- Read the grant guidelines carefully.
- Contact AVI program director Joy Young (803-734-8203) if you have questions or want to discuss your proposal idea.
- Prepare your Letter of Intent and the related materials, including work samples.
- Letter of Intent must be submitted online via Submittable by midnight (EST) January 11.
Part Two (Full Grant Application - By Invitation Only):
- If you're invited to submit a full grant application, review again the grant guidelines carefully.
- Contact AVI program director Joy Young (803-734-8203) if you have questions or want to discuss your application.
- Prepare your application materials. (Be sure to give yourself plenty of time.)
- Full application and support materials must be submitted online via Submittable by midnight (EST) March 15.
What happens next?
- S.C. Arts Commission program staff and management will review the Letters of Intent and select those who will be invited to develop their proposed venture into a full grant application
- The full grant applications will be reviewed by a panel of business professionals.
- S.C. Arts Commission staff and management will recommend funding, based on those reivews, to our Board of Commissioners.
- Once the Board approves the awards, we’ll post the results on our website.
If I get an AVI grant, what will I need to do?
- Sign a contract and complete other paperwork we’ll mail to you in the fall.
- Attend at least two professional development meetings during the grant period.
- Submit quarterly progress reports.
- Meet the required deadline, and keep good records.
- Credit your funders, and communicate with your state legislators.
- Participate in assessments if we ask.
- Let us know if anything changes.
- Report on how it went.
If I have questions, who can help?
The S.C. Arts Commission AVI program director, Joy Young (803-734-8203).